Jorgen Jensen (1895 - 1960) was Georg Jensenís second son and followed in his fatherís footsteps by becoming a metalsmith. In 1914, he received training from the Munich goldsmith Leonard Ebert; he also studied at the City School of Arts and Crafts, Munich. He returned to Copenhagen later that year and received additional training at the Georg Jensen Silversmithy. He worked as a member of the firm from 1917 to 1923. From 1923 to 1936 he operated his own workshop in Stockholm. He rejoined the Jensen firm in 1936 and worked as a designer there until 1962.
Jensen designed jewelry and holloware for the Silversmithy. His holloware designs illustrate an interesting stylistic evolution over time. Many of his designs from the 1920s clearly evoke the earlier work of Johan Rohde. His work from the 1930s onward, however, steps away from the work of his predecessors and is representative of the functionalist aesthetic which emphasizes clean, straight lines and dispenses with applied ornamentation in favor of incised parallel lines. Many of these designs harmonize with those of his contemporary, Sigvard Bernadotte. After World War II, Jensenís designs evolve further with a sleek, mannered interpretation of modernism. Thus, Jensenís holloware designs spanning many years, demonstrate tremendous versatility and creative dynamism.
Jorgen Jensenís work has been exhibited widely in Europe and North America.
Excerpt from Georg Jensen Holloware, The Silver Fund Collection.