Warwick Freeman was born in Nelson New Zealand in 1953. Largely self-taught, he took up jewelry-making in Perth, Australia, in 1972, following two years of travel. Returning to New Zealand in 1973, Warwick initially established a workshop in Nelson before moving to Auckland in 1975. He joined Lapis Lazuli, a co-operative jewelry workshop, in 1977, and a year later became a partner in Fingers. Warwick regularly exhibits in New Zealand and Australia, as well as in Europe and the USA. His works are held in the collections of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra; the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney; Auckland Museum; the Dowse Art Museum, Lower Hutt; the Danner Stiftung, Munich; the Helen Drutt Collection, Philadelphia; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; and Te Papa, Museum of New Zealand, Wellington. In 2002 he was recognized by the Françoise van den Bosch Foundation, based at the Stedelijk Museum, who named him their 2002 Laureate.